Search This Blog

Saturday, January 8, 2011

2005 Silverado Vineyards - Napa Valley Cabernet



I'm a bad friend. Tonight, much to the Blind Monkey's chagrin, I opened the 2005 Silverado Vineyards Napa Valley Cabernet that I was supposed to share with him.

Luckily, I'm sure he understands as he knows I have a serious weakness for 2005 reds and probably wonders how it survived this long. Tonight the combination of a cold winter evening with 8 inches of fresh snowfall sticking to the trees, a handcut delmonico steak seared on the IR grill prefaced by manchego and aged gouda made it impossible to resist (I will make it up to you BM).


Once again, 2005 did not disappoint. This wine is actually a blend of 87% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Merlot, 3% Petit Verdot, 2% Cabernet Franc. It has a nice dark purple hue with a full cherry scent. Right out of the bottle, it has a slight bite, which disappeared within 5 minutes after which I found it surprisingly smooth with a great balance of dark fruit, silky tannins and a nice long pleasant finish. Delicious throughout every aspect of the meal including the cheese, steak and dark chocolate. Ahhhhhhh. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment